CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 29, 2008

A First

In all my years of cooking, can you believe that I have never made anything seafood related? I think it scares me a little bit for some reason. I bought a new cookbook a few days ago ($5.00 at Powell's bookstore!!) and I had to try one of the recipes. It had shrimp in it. Come on Pachey, go out on a limb!

I was a bit shocked at the price of frozen shrimp at the grocery store. I first went to the frozen section, and a one pound bag was $9.99! Luckily, the seafood counter had the same thing on sale for $4.99 a pound. All I had to do was remove the tails and thaw the little shimpies.

Besides the shrimp, this is a very inexpensive recipe to make. Most people have the canned goods on hand already, and if you add a salad and maybe another vegetable or bread, you have a hearty meal. Even with the pasta, it is pretty healthy also. I haven't calculated the calories yet, but I am sure it won't be terrible.

The recipe was simple to make, and even more yummy to eat. I don't know why I avoid seafood recipes so much, but this one was tasty. Of course, it had to have tomatoes on it, and it was even better with the pasta and cheese. Do you see a trend? I seem to make the same things over and over and over again: Pasta, tomatoes, cheese, casserole, meat. I added some garlic powder as well as extra red pepper flakes. We like our food spicy in this house. Eh, if it aint broke right?



Shrimp and Pasta Bake
from: The Best of Classic Cookbooks

1 package (16 oz) bow tie pasta
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 package (12 oz) frozen shelled deveined cooked small shrimp, thawed
1 jar (4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain.

2. Place cooked pasta in ungreased 13x9 inch baking dish. Stir in tomatoes, shrimp, tomato sauce, mushrooms and spices. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil.

3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

0 comments: